Friday, November 8, 2013

Being a Life Learner

I never fully realized the difference between someone who lives their life to learn and someone who just exists.

There is a difference folks. A vast one.

For example, I just completely blanked on the exact definition of the word 'vast'. Normally, I would have just used a dumber word that I already know the meaning of, like large. Not today. Today, I looked it up, refreshed my memory, and utilized that term. Rock on.

For the past few days, I have been reminding myself to be continually curious about the world, and to learn for the fun of it. And guess what, learning magically became fun again! I now know the history of Tootsie Rolls, why people are late, what Lorde's song "Royals" is actually about, songs by Cage the Elephant, and the basics of knitting. It's fantastic.

While a lot of this information may seem useless, it really made me think. How many things do I not know? How many of those things will I never know, and how will that affect my life? Ignorance breeds intolerance and such. Crazy, crazy, crazy.

Maybe not to this extent, but I would like to continue to keep an open (or at least as open as I can be) mind about life. Who knows what else is out there to learn?

Also, knitting is frustrating as all hell.



No comments:

Post a Comment